Man lights cigarette, van bursts into flames

Man lights cigarette, van bursts into flames

Credit: Eric Turner/KTVB

Man lights cigarette, van bursts into flames

Print
Email
|

by KTVB

KTVB.COM

Posted on August 7, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Updated Sunday, Nov 24 at 12:00 AM

Car Fire

View larger map

CALDWELL -- An unidentified man who lit a cigarette inside a van filled with fumes from paint and cleaning products sparked a dangerous fire in Caldwell Tuesday.

Idaho State Police say 30-year-old Roman Gonzalez of Caldwell was driving a load of paint and cleaning products in his GMC Savanna around 6:30 p.m. when the fire started.

Officers say one of Gonzalez' passengers lit the cigarette, which caused the van to burst into flames while traveling westbound on West Logan Street.

Police report that Gonzalez and another passenger were able to jump out of the vehicle while it was still moving. However, they say a third man was not able to exit the van until it came to a stop after crashing through a fence into a nearby yard.

Caldwell Firefighters say all three were treated at West Valley Medical Center before two of them were airlifted to the burn unit in Salt Lake City.

One of the two people airlifted was severely burned.

Gonzalez' passengers included 52-year-old Ramon Gonzalez of Caldwell and 58-year-old Jose Gonzalez of Greenleaf.

Print
Email
|