POCATELLO, Idaho -- A woman who lost her eastern Idaho home to a fire last week says her family members are recovering but she doesn't believe any of their belongings can be salvaged.
Katherine Thatcher's Pocatello home caught fire on July 15. Thatcher wasn't home, but her 73-year-old father Jack Maher sustained burns on 10 percent of his body. Her 15-year-old nephew, Joseph Maher, sustained bad cuts to his arm when he fled through a broken window.
Thatcher told the Idaho State Journal Joseph underwent several hours of surgery and is home and doing well. Jack Maher remains hospitalized in fair condition.
The home wasn't insured -- she let the insurance lapse because of financial difficulties -- and she anticipates that it will be considered a total loss.