TREASURE VALLEY -- Memorial Day is this Monday and marks a day of remembrance for all the men and women who have died while serving as part of the United States Armed Forces.
Services around the Treasure Valley and surrounding area will seek to honor these brave Americans. All of these services take place on Memorial Day.
- At 10 a.m. the Idaho State Cemetery, located at 10100 Horseshoe Bend Road, Boise, will hold a service with speakers, music from the Idaho National Guard 25th Army Band, bagpipes by the Boise Police Pipes and Drums, a wreath laying ceremony, rifle and cannon salutes and a flyover by A-10 Thunderbolt II aircraft assigned to the Idaho Air National Guard's 190th Fighter Squadron.
You're asked to park at the Optimist Youth Sports Complex at 9889 Hill Rd and take a free shuttle to and from the cemetery.
- Also at 10 a.m., an A-10 Thunderbolt II will perform a flyover in Nampa at the Kohlerlawn Cemetery, located at 76 6th Street North, Nampa. The flyover will start off a ceremony including a wreath laying ceremony, a gun salute by the Nampa Police Honor Guard, dual taps, speakers, music and bagpipes.
- At 11 a.m. at the Hailey Cemetery, located at 511 E. Maple St, Hailey, Idaho 83333, a ceremony will be held to honor the nearly 400 known Hailey veterans. For the fifth year, the ceremony will include a Color Guard, rifle detail and flag raisers from the 366th FW Honor Guard from Mountain Home AFB. The theme for the Hailey program is "Honoring the Unsung Heroes," which is aimed at everyone behind the lines and the stories that haven't really been told. There will also be music, speakers and more, including and an A-10 Thunderbolt II aircraft flyover around 11:30 a.m.
- At noon in Silent Camp at the Veterans Monument in Morris Hill Cemetery, the Idaho Civil War Volunteers will conduct their annual Civil War flag-raising ceremony, eulogy, and gun salute. The service will be repeated at 2 p.m. at the Military Reserve Cemetery on Mountain Cove Road off Reserve Street in northeast Boise.
- The Veterans of Foreign Wars will put small flags on every grave in the Fields of Honors and Silent Camp at Morris Hill Cemetery. The American Legion will raise American flags around the Mausoleum.
- From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., the stories of the civilian M-K workers captured on Wake Island during WWII will be highlighted in an exhibit at the 8th Street Marketplace at BoDo, located at 404 S. 8th Street, Suite L138. The open house will feature numerous items concentrated on the Wake Island story, including drawings of the POW experience, news accounts and items belonging to some of the men captured on Wake Island. Interviews conducted for an upcoming documentary will also be shown.
- Of the ceremonies listed, you may have noticed that several feature flyovers by the Idaho Air National Guard. Three two-ship formations of A-10 Thunderbolt II aircraft from Gowen Field will launch in the morning to support activities throughout the state.
The planes are due over the following areas. The times listed are in estimation of when the aircraft will arrive.
Kohlerlawn Cemetery, Nampa - (10:05 a.m.)
Exergy Bike Race, Hyde Park - (10:44 a.m.)
Idaho Veterans Cemetery (Dry Creek), Boise - (10:45 a.m.)
Hailey Cemetery, Hailey - (11:15 a.m.)
Ketchum Cemetery, Ketchum - (11:20 a.m.)
Hayden, Idaho - (11 a.m. PDT)
McCall, Idaho - (12:20 p.m.)
Hillcrest Memorial Gardens, Caldwell, Idaho (1 p.m.)
If you see a ceremony we have not listed, please let us know about it by e-mailing email@example.com.