BOISE -- The Idaho Humane Society is urging pet owners to take extra precautions during 4th of July fireworks celebrations.
That's because shelters are typically inundated with stray pets who often become scared of the unexpected noises and run away.
Shelter staff members say the following tips can help keep your pet safe and happy through the 4th of July.
- Leave your pets at home and indoors during the fireworks celebrations
- Preferably in a basment or room with covered windows
- Switch on a radio or television to disguise some of the firework noise
- Give your pet a treat or toy to play with to distract them
- Make sure your pet has proper identification like a collar with a tag
- If you pet goes missing, visit your local animal shelter immediately and file a lost animal report
For more pet fireworks safety tips, visit the Idaho Humane Society.