JEROME, Idaho -- Investigators in Jerome say a fire that destroyed an apartment building and damaged two nearby buildings last month started when a woman accidentally left a hot glue gun on a plastic chair.
Fire Chief Jack Krill says a woman who lived in the apartments on West Main Street was using the hot glue gun to make piñatas on April 30. She set the glue gun down to help a customer and then left to pick up her children from school, forgetting she left it plugged in.
The fire spread from the apartment building to an adjacent restaurant and an office building.
Krill says the estimated damage to the buildings is more than $1 million.
Krill says the woman will not be cited for starting the fire because it was accidental. He did not release her name.
The Jerome Fire Department says this is a good reminder that people need to be careful with heating tools and appliances, and be sure to turn them off and unplug them when not in use.