Ontario man charged after Halloween homicide

Halloween night homicide in Ontario

ONTARIO, Ore. -- A suspect arrested after a Halloween homicide on Fortner Street in Ontario has been charged with burglary and unlawful possession of a firearm. Jayme Wintersteen, 34, has not been charged with murder. The Malheur County District Attorney's Office says they are continuing to investigate.

According to court documents, the shooting happened Friday night shortly before 7 p.m. at the suspect's home after some sort of confrontation, reportedly over a burglary.

Wintersteen told Ontario Police that the victim, Douglas West, 25, came to his home and pushed his way inside. He says he repeatedly told West to leave, but he didn't. Wintersteen went on to report that as West started walking toward him, he fired off his handgun. West turned and ran out of the home. Wintersteen told police he kept firing off his handgun toward West.

West's girlfriend, who drove him to the home on Fortner Street, says she saw him run back toward the car and collapse on the sidewalk. She told Ontario Police she drove him to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Doctors say he had been shot on the front of his body near his left clavicle.

Wintersteen has not been charged with murder, only burglary and unlawful possession of a firearm.

The Malheur County District Attorney's Office told KTVB they continue to investigate and cannot comment on pending cases.

Wintersteen told Ontario Police he's had problems in the past with West over a burglary West reportedly committed. Wintersteen says West wanted him to keep the stolen goods at his home, but instead Wintersteen returned them back to the owner, which he says angered West.

It is not clear if the burglary charge against Wintersteen stems from that incident or something else.


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment