BOISE -- According to a report by the Northwest Insurance Council, 900 vehicles were documented stolen in Idaho in 2011, including 437 in the Boise area.
170 vehicles were documented stolen in in Coeur d'Alene.
The same stats indicate an average of three vehicles were stolen per day in Idaho. They also show motor vehicle thefts increased by 32% in Coeur d'Alene in 2011.
The findings are part of a nationwide study that tracks and compiles stolen vehicle trends.
The National Insurance Crime Bureau lists the top 10 stolen vehicles in Idaho as follows:
- 2006 Ford Pickup (Full Size)
- 1994 Chevrolet Pick-Up (Full Size)
- 1998 Dodge Pick-Up (Full Size)
- 1994 Honda Accord
- 1991 Toyota Camry
- 1994 Chevrolet Pickup (Small Size)
- 1994 Ford Taurus
- 1986 GMC Pick-Up (Full Size)
- 1998 Dodge Caravan
- 1997 Ford Explorer
NICB.org offers the following tips to help prevent vehicle theft:
- Keep your doors locked and windows completely rolled up
- Remove keys from the ignition, even when briefly stepping away from your car
- Keep valuable items such as bags, purses, cell phones and briefcases out of sight
- Always park your vehicle in well-lit areas
- Always activate your vehicle's security or alarm system when parked