CALDWELL, Idaho -- A Greenleaf man has died after he was badly burned by exploding fumes in a van that was driving away from a job site in Caldwell last week.
Idaho State Police say 58-year-old Jose Gonzalez of Greenleaf died of his injuries around 6 a.m. Tuesday August 15.
The van Greenleaf was riding in was hauling a load of paint and cleaning products on Tuesday, August 7 when the accident happened..
Troopers say the van caught fire when one of its passengers lit a cigarette, which caused the fumes to explode. The explosion happened as the van was driving near West Logan Street and Carol Avenue.
Police say three people inside the van were treated for burns. Two of those people were airlifted to a burn unit in Salt Lake City.