BOISE -- How to have fun and be safe on the fourth of July -- that's a problem faced each year by firefighters, police, and regular folks out to have a good time.
Here at KTVB, we put together a handy guide to help you solve that problem.
Our list includes the location of popular area fireworks displays and their times, traffic changes, and important Idaho laws about fireworks you should know.
In summary, we hope you have a great time celebrating Independence Day -- but please also be safe.
Fireworks over Ann Morrison Park on July 4, 2011
Area fireworks displays and times
BOISE -- Boise's 2012 fireworks display is scheduled for 10:15 p.m. at Ann Morrison Park. The show is free, and features activities for kids and adults all day. There's also a music lineup. The events include:
- 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. - Idaho Statesman Chalk Art Festival
- 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. - Chalk Land for kids
- 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. - Kid’s Activities provided by Boise Parks & Recreation’s Mobile Recreation Program
- 5 p.m. - Idaho Statesman Chalk Art Festival awards announcement
- 6 p.m. - Desirae Bronson (music)
- 8 p.m. - Pilot Error (music)
- 10:15 p.m. - fireworks display
CALDWELL -- Caldwell's annual fireworks display takes place at Simplot Stadium at 2207 E Blaine St at dusk.
MCCALL -- The McCall Chamber of Commerce plans an entire day of activities. The chamber's annual fireworks show takes place over Payette Lake at approximately 9:45 p.m. Viewers can go to Legacy Park and the Depot Park in McCall to see the show.
MELBA -- The City of Melba plans it's annual "Old Tyme Melba 4th of July" celebration all day. Fireworks are set to go off at dusk, or approximately 10:30 p.m.
MERIDIAN -- The City of Meridian plans to hold an Independence celebration with a number of events throughout the day. Events include:
- 3 p.m. - Inflatable toys, climbing wall and food vendors available in Storey Park.
- 3 p.m. - "Dakota Mad Band" begins live performance in the Storey Park picnic shelter.
- 5:30 p.m. - "Social Fallout" begins live performance in the Storey Park picnic shelter.
- 6:30 p.m. - Meridian Speedway races begin.
- 7 p.m. - Gate to the baseball field in Storey Park opens to allow for more fireworks viewing area.
- 7:30 p.m. - "Big Wow" begins live performance in the Storey Park picnic shelter.
- 9:30 p.m. - Safe and Sane fireworks area opens in the Chamber of Commerce parking lot.
- 10:15pm - Fireworks display begins.
MOUNTAIN HOME -- The City of Mountain home plans its annual fireworks display at the Desert Canyon Golf Course near East 8th North Street, beginning at dusk.
NAMPA -- No fireworks displays are scheduled at this time
Traffic changes, closures
BOISE -- Ann Morrison Park will be closed the Fourth of July to vehicle traffic with the exception of short-term pick-up for river floaters near Royal Blvd, and handicap access.
- The shuttle bus pick up for river floaters will have regular access to the park. Equipment rental at Barber Park will be open until 6 p.m.
- The last shuttle bus pick up will depart from Ann Morrison Park at 7 p.m.
- At the conclusion of the fireworks, Americana will be closed for approximately 45 minutes while pedestrians exit the park.
- For complete parking information, click here.
MCCALL -- Lakeside Avenue in McCall will be closed throughout the day.
MOUNTAIN HOME -- E. 8th and E. 18th N. streets will be blocked-off to traffic throughout the evening
Nampa Deputy Chief Doug Strosneider demonstrates how easily wildfires can be sparked by fireworks
Important fireworks safety laws
Dry conditions in southwest Idaho could lead to a number of fires and fire-related accidents this Fourth of July, according to safety officials. That's because several large fires have already sparked by improper use of fireworks in these dry conditions.
Idaho State laws prohibit anyone from lighting aerial fire works at any time during they year. Laws also prohibit fireworks on all state and federally-owned land, including BLM land.
For 2012, Ada County has also banned fireworks in all un-incorporated areas, along with areas outside fire protection districts.
Here's a map showing where you can, and cannot light fireworks in Boise.
Here's a link to the City of Meridian's fireworks safety ordinances and tips.
Here's a map of all federally-owned lands in Idaho. Again, users are banned from lighting-off fireworks in these areas.