Squirrel causes fire, power outage in Boise

Print
Email
|

by KTVB

KTVB.COM

Posted on September 14, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Updated Tuesday, Sep 14 at 9:23 PM

BOISE -- Boise firefighters extinguished a small fire that was sparked by a down power line this morning in a Boise neighborhood.

The falling lines did break up a small section of asphalt in the 4500 block of W. Alpine Street, near Orchard and Franklin.  There were no road closures. 

Firefighters say a squirrel caused the transformer to blow, causing lines to arc and fall.   The squirrel did not survive.

The incident was reported around 9:50 a.m.  The fire was burning asphalt and that was quickly put out.
 
There was also a brief power outage in the area.  Around 1,900 Idaho Power customers were affected.

By noon, crews had restored power to all but 13 homes.  

Print
Email
|