MERIDIAN -- A Meridian man critically injured after an RV explosion is returning home Sunday from a burn unit in Salt Lake City.
Lisa Hyatt, John Hyatt’s wife, has been by her husband's side ever since he was taken by air ambulance to the University of Utah’s burn center.
Sunday, Lisa and John were driving home after spending the weekend in the ICU. Lisa said John is still in a lot of pain, but his spirits are good.
Early Thursday morning, John was thrown from the RV his family was living in after a propane leak caused an explosion. The RV eventually burned to the ground.
John was found with serious burns to his face and hands and was taken to Salt Lake City. John, Lisa and their four kids were all living in the RV temporarily. On the night of the explosion, only John was home. He was sleeping and didn’t smell the propane leak.
Lisa said John is doing well, and she is trying her best to be strong.
“I cry, I laugh, I try not to get into a depressed stage,” said Lisa Hyatt. “He does have his moments where he is going through a lot of pain because the swelling is coming down. He is actually in good spirits with it. Kind of makes fun of it sometimes.”
Lisa and John will stay with a family member for a few days. She said after that, they have no idea where they are going to go because everything they owned was ruined in the RV explosion.
If you would like to help, the ESA Credit Union in downtown Boise is accepting donations for the family.