BOISE -- There's a new way to ring in the New Year in Boise, and it involves a giant potato.
Set up has already begun for the Idaho Potato Drop.
8th Street from Idaho to Main streets will be shut down from noon until after midnight for the event.
Part of Main Street will also be closed starting at 5:30 tonight.
The giant spud that will help Idahoans ring in the new year is made of a steel frame and foam, and is about 16 feet long.
Organizers say it's being kept under wraps until the big debut tonight.
As the clock counts down to midnight, the glowing 16-foot long potato will be lowered from outside the U.S. Bank building in downtown Boise.
Confetti will be released from the top of the potato's platform.
There will also be a custom light show display at the end of the countdown.
But before the clock strikes midnight food vendors and live music will fill the Grove Plaza.
Everything gets going around 7 o'clock tonight. That's when the live bands and performers will start.
The giant potato will begin dropping at 11:59 p.m. We will begin our TV coverage on Channel 7 at 11:50 p.m. NBC's New Year's Eve show will move to 24/7 at that time.
Coverage of the Idaho Potato Drop will also be streaming on KTVB.com.
Here is the schedule and more information on the Idaho Potato Drop:
8th Street from Idaho to Main is closed from noon today through midnight when the potato drops.
Main Street will be closed from 9th to Capital starting at 5:30 p.m. tonight.
Live music and performers will be starting around 7 o’clock. That’s when the Boise Rock School will play a set near the Grove.
Here’s the rest of the schedule:
• 7:30 p.m. -- Myth fire dancers and Kipp Sherry Magic begin their many performances of the evening.
Attendees will start arriving early evening. 8th street from Idaho through Main and Main from 9th to Capitol will be closed to traffic.
• 8:00 p.m. to 8:45 p.m. -- Carolina Morning performs.
• 9:00 p.m. to 9:45 p.m :-- Matt Hopper & the Roman Candles perform.
• 10:00 p.m. to 10:45p.m. -- Audio Moonshine performs.
• 11:00 p.m. to 11:59 p.m. -- Hollow Wood performs.
• 11:59 p.m. -- The 60-second New Year’s Eve Potato Drop countdown will begin as the potato descends to its resting place at the stroke of midnight. Immediately after the countdown, the main stage headlining act will finish their set.
Organizers hope to make this an annual event in downtown Boise.