Chef Lou’s Fried Green Tomato Sandwich
· 8 slices, thick-cut bacon, cooked and drained
· 1/2 Cup all-purpose flour
· 1/2 Cup cornmeal
· Salt & pepper, to taste
· 1-1/2 cup buttermilk
· 1/4 cup salad oil, plus more if necessary
· 2 large green tomatoes, sliced 1/4" thick, about 8 slices
· 1/4 cup prepared mayonnaise
· 1 tablespoon prepared taco or chili sauce
· 1 tablespoon minced green onions
· 2 slices lightly toasted french bread about 6” X 4” wide
· 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
Cook bacon over medium heat until just browned and crispy.
Drain on paper towels; reserve.
Combine the flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper in a medium-sized bowl. Add the buttermilk and stir well.
The mixture should resemble pancake batter.
Pour salad oil into a skillet. Heat on medium.
Working in batches, dip the green tomato slices in the batter, letting any excess drip back into the bowl, then fry for about 2 minutes per side or until golden brown.
Add more oil to the pan if necessary. Drain the fried green tomato slices on paper towels.
Combine the mayonnaise, green onions, and chili sauce in a small bowl; spread about 1/2 of the mayonnaise mixture on one side of each slice of toast. Lay 4 slices of bacon over each of 4 slices of toast, then top each with 2-3 fried green tomato slices.
Finish the sandwich off with placing the shredded lettuce on top of the tomatoes.
Makes 2 servings.