Calypso Steak with Grilled Pineapple
* 1-1/2 lbs. beef top sirloin steak or top round steak, cut 1-inch thick
* 1/2 medium onion, cut in chunks
* 1/4 cup soy sauce
* 1/4 cup honey
* 1/4 cup lime juice
* 10-20 thin slices peeled fresh ginger
* 1-2 fresh jalapeno peppers, stems and seeds removed, cut in half
* 3 cloves garlic, peeled
* 1 tsp. whole brown mustard seeds (optional)
* 1/2 tsp. allspice
* 1/2 tsp. paprika
* 1/2 tsp. thyme
* sliced pineapple (fresh or canned)
* 2 Tbsp. butter
* 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
* 1 Tbsp. lime juice
· Blend all ingredients, except steak in a blender or food processor fitted with a steel blade until pureed.
· Place steak in a sealable plastic bag and pour marinade over steak. Seal well and refrigerate 20 minutes to 6 hours, turning bag occasionally.
· Remove meat from bag. Reserve marinade.
· Grill steak over medium heat or medium coals for 16-20 minutes, turning once. Remove steak to carving board. Let stand 10 minutes.
· Meanwhile, bring reserved marinade to a rolling boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 2-3 minutes.
· Carve steak diagonally into thin slices. Arrange on a platter and serve with heated sauce and grilled pineapple.
· For grilled pineapple: Melt butter in small saucepan. Stir in brown sugar and lime juice. Mix until sugar is melted. Generously brush over sliced pineapple. Grill until golden brown.
· Garnish with lime wedges, cilantro sprigs and jalapenos if desired. This marinade is excellent for basting grilled beef back ribs, marinating beef brisket, or for braising beef short ribs. Shoulder steaks or flank steak may be substituted for the top sirloin or top round steaks.