Bean & Pasta Semi-homemade Soup
· 4 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
· 2-3 teaspoons garlic powder
· 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
· 1/8-1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
· 1 can cannellini (white kidney) beans, rinsed, divided
· 1 14-1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes
· 1 cup whole grain small pasta
· 2 cups frozen spinach
· 6 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
· Combine broth, garlic powder, rosemary and crushed red pepper in a 4- to 6-quart Dutch oven or soup pot; bring to a simmer.
· Mash 1 cup beans in a small bowl.
· Add mashed and whole beans to the broth, along with tomatoes; return to a simmer. Stir in pasta, cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is just tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
· Stir in spinach, cover and cook just until the spinach has thawed, 2 to 3 minutes. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish each serving with a sprinkling of Parmesan.
· Variations: Substitute chickpeas, black beans, or kidney beans for the cannellini beans. Add other vegetables, fresh, canned or frozen, that you have on hand.