Two area businesses are offering up a local "Biggest Loser Contest."
The Humphreys Diabetes Center and Ladd Family Pharmacy are giving away $10,000 dollars in the "Treasure Valley Weight Loss Challenge".
This is the third time they've had the contest and people are winning money and winning the war on fat!
Here are the details:
- The $10,000 Treasure Valley Weight Loss Challenge is the area's local 'Biggest Loser' Contest Participants pay a $50 registration fee to join
- Participants receive weekly emails with tips on nutrition and exercise
- Participants receive 6-weeks of FREE 'kick-start' activities and seminars to help them begin exercise and nutrition plans
- Final weigh-in is on Thursday, June 2, 2011
- Cash prizes awarded to the top 3 men and top 3 women based on the total percent of weight loss - $3,000 to 1st place, $1,500 to 2nd place, $500 to 3rd place
One concern for overweight people is diabetes and Idahoans need to pay attention to the numbers.
In Idaho, 76,000 people have Type 2 Diabetes. That's 7% of the population or 1 in 15 people.
Today on the Midday News at Noon, I learned if you lose just 20 pounds, you greatly reduce your risk of developing this disease.
You can still register until January 22. Just click here to enter, or call (208) 331-1155.
Have a great weekend and maybe I'll even see you at the gym working on this new challenge!