BOISE -- The big question on every Bronco's mind - who will be the new head coach?
Changing football coaches at Boise State isn't a common occurrence. There have been only three in the last 16 years, and that's rare in this pressure cooker world of college football.
So when it happens, it's big and a lot of big names would love to get the job.
KTVB's Mark Johnson compiled a list based on sources in and outside the Boise State football circle.
And it begins with this short list based on sources who are close to all three:
- Former Boise State coach Dirk Koetter - now the offensive coordinator with the Atlanta Falcons
- Former BSU offensive coordinator Bryan Harsin - the Boise native is wrapping up his first season as head coach at Arkansas State
- Former Bronco defensive coordinator Justin Wilcox - the defensive coordinator at University of Washington
Here's the long list:
- Former Boise State coach Dan Hawkins
- Current Boise State assistants Bob Gregory and Chris Strausser
- Former BSU offensive coordinator Brent Pease
- Former University of California coach Jeff Tedford
- And a blast from the Pokey Allen past - offensive coordinator at Michigan Al Borges
One source told Johnson that Dirk Koetter had planned to fly in to interview Monday but poor weather wouldn't let him get out of Green Bay where the Falcons played Sunday. He was forced to interview by phone.
Koetter has said publicly that if Coach Petersen ever left Boise State he would be crazy and that he would love to come back someday.
Boise State President Bob Kustra and Athletic Director Mark Coyle are working quickly to make the hire.
Johnson has been told that they plan to make an announcement by the end of the week, and it could be as early as Thursday.